We’re very fortunate to have the lovely and very bendy Anel van der Walt join us every Wednesday evening from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm to guide us through a focused Flex and Bend class. Anel is a biokineticist so she knows the body, and is also a competitive pole dance professional so she knows the importance of being flexible and the challenges people face when trying to improve their own flexibility. By her own admission, a few years ago she battled with her flexibility and had to dedicate time to her stretching practice and set aside time weekly to focus on this element of her training in order to reach her desired flexibility goals. These efforts have certainly paid off for her and we are thrilled that she is so willing to share her experiences and exercises with us in her weekly classes and help us stretch and strengthen our muscles this way.
Regardless of your flexibility goals or the sport you partake in, stretching is very important and here are 5 very good reasons to attend a weekly stretch style class:
- Stretching has a calming effect: As the muscles contract and lengthen the physical body relaxes, which then translates to a more relaxed and calm emotional state. Stretching re-energises and relaxes the entire body.
- It builds and elongates muscle: Stretching allows you to move through the full range of motion required, in effect creating long and full muscles instead of stunted ones.
- It reduces the risk of injury: Just like vitamins are seen as preventative medicine for health by decreasing the likelihood of illness, stretching can be thought of as preventative medicine for the body by ensuring it stays mobile, flexible and, best of all, injury free. A flexible body means that your long muscles are not as susceptible to tearing so you have plenty of room to move when performing other types of exercise.
- Stretching encourages faster recovery: Exercising creates toxins in the body as muscles are exerted. By stretching the muscles, these toxins move into the bloodstream and out of the muscles, where they can be broken down and eradicated.
- Stretching gives you that flexy feeling: One of the by-products of stretching is quite obviously improved flexibility. With regular stretching, you will gain an increased range of motion and you might soon find yourself capable of moving into positions that you once thought were impossible.
So come and join us on Monday evenings and treat your muscles, your body and your mind to a superb workout and improve your chances of reaching your own flexibility goals. You won’t be disappointed. Cost of classes is R100 per drop in.